Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Perfect Mix-up

The other day we had a bit of snow that covered our driveway and walkway. You could hear the roaring brigade of snow blowers in the neighborhood. You could also hear the quietness that surrounded our snowed-in house. You see my husband fears snow blowers. He believes that their sole purpose is to chop, mangle and eat his foot. As a result of this belief we shovel our way out. I should correct that statement, he shovels his way out as I refuse to feed his irrational belief in the flesh hungry snow blower. Occasionally I rely on the kindness of strangers (said in my head with a delightful southern accent) to dig me out.

We are lucky to have strong, fearless, rational neighbors with snow blowers who come to our rescue. They will see my husband struggling against the elements and clear the sidewalk for us as he tackles the driveway. A good neighborly exchange follows, the two have a male bonding moment and we all live happily ever after. So when it snowed this week I anticipated a similar routine. Husband, shovel in hand, attacks driveway. Husband gets wet and cold, flings shovel over left shoulder, enters house muttering under breath, snow wins. I went to take a nap as it was obvious the car was not moving from it's snowy prison. Defeated, my husband retired to his room to watch a game.

When I awoke from my winter's nap I was surprised to see the driveway had been cleared of snow, not by man and shovel but by roaring machine. I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn't dreaming. How could this be? Did my husband have a change of heart and buy a snow blower? Just as I was about to find and question my husband he found me. He was telling me that the guy next door must have plowed the driveway. He was going on and on about the guy next door. The guy next door, whose name had obviously escaped my husband was now my husband's hero. We immediately found a bottle of red wine to send over as a thank you. My husband, after being reminded of our neighbor's name, brought the bottle over to offer his thanks. The exchange was quick, the wife accepted the wine and said she would pass our offering of gratitude on. Life continued and everyone lived happily ever after, so we thought.

It wasn't until I spoke with my sister a week later that I realized our folly. My brother-in-law wanted to know when he was getting his thank you. I searched my brain but couldn't remember what I had forgotten to thank him for. Well my sister took but a moment to inform me of my apparent slight. Apparently while I was napping and my husband stroked his bruised ego watching a game, my brother-in-law plowed our snow covered driveway. WHAT! I immediately told her she was mistaken, clearly the neighbor had done this random act of kindness. We delivered wine, really good wine. The token had been accepted, the thanks had gone to the appropriate recipient. Right? As it turned out the neighbor had indeed plowed our sidewalk but he had not turned his flesh eating, snow blowing machine onto our driveway. We had indeed sent accolades to the wrong guy. "Hey guy next door, my brother-in-law wants his wine back".

As I write this the snow has begun to fall again. The last remnant of blacktop has now disappeared. My husband's shovel is waiting for him by the garage door. The neighbor is probably anticipating a Chardonnay. My brother-in-law will forgive our perfect little mix-up and plow out my driveway; my husband will be thankful no one lost a foot. I will go to bed dreaming about having a perfectly grand snow blower of my own.

2 comments:

  1. Wish we had a great neighbor or brother in law. We have a crabby old lady next door who forgets to take her meds, we think sometimes! We think this because of her raining down of rude remarks and curses if Alfie or anyone parks in front of her house. She has no car and is not saving the space for anyone. We are barly surviving being neighbors of a denist, a foot doctor and a bus stop to NYC! Our block looks like your typical brooklyn block on any given day. Alfie parks in front of her house sometimes after his 10 plus hour day of carpentry in the cold, filthy, tired and hugry, he drags his heavy booted feet to his home while listening to "Flo" cursing him out "you fat no good bastard piece of sh*t, filthy waste of life. I am calling the police......" It takes ALL my strength to withhold my nurturing side which is to protect the ones I love. I have written her countless notes but have never delivered them. I think I just feel better telling her off any way I can. Alfie is too tired to even defend himself. He did tell her off once, with five words. She shut her door really fast. Still, every snowfall these past 8 years we've been at this house, Alfie is out there shoveling her walkway and driveway as well. She has never said Thank you, but she never cursed him out while he was on her property either. LOL. THIS is what a good neighbor and good Christian is: Alfie. And me for never saying what I thought she needed to hear, but maybe she needs to see the kindness of others despite what she says and does, needs to see our fruit. Maybe I should deliver her a bible (by smacking her in the face with it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete