Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Keeper of the Key

When we moved back North we purchased a home from a woman who had no family, her husband had passed and they did not have any children. She was moving into an assisted living facility, a decision she made on her own as she became more aware of the affects Alzheimer's was having on her life. Her name is Emily, she was a Dietitian during WWII with the armed forces, she bred dogs with her husband once they moved to suburbia. She wrote poetry and loved modern art. She faithfully fed the birds on her property, asking me to promise I would do the same as the new owner of the home. Little notes dotted the walls, gentle reminders to shut off lights, gas on range or lock doors.

Emily had been a contributor to society and to those that knew and loved her....we named a stray cat that found a home with us Emily in honor of her. She has no one to remind her of the memories that elude her now, I keep the memory of a very interesting woman who gave me the key to my new home. We have since moved a mile or so away from that house, the new owners did a complete renovation stripping it down to the studs. We gave our cat Emily to my mom after my dad died to keep her warm at night. Everything that was has been erased, but I will never forget Emily or the day she handed me her memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment